High Performance Computing (HPC) Technical Committee
A warm welcome to the High-Performance Computing (HPC) Technical Committee's wiki page! As part of the OpenFOAM Governance structure, our job is to work together with the community to overcome the actual HPC bottlenecks of OpenFOAM. Here, you can find information about us, our current activities and also how to get in touch.
Members of the Committee
This is the list of the current active committee members, led by Ivan Spisso who acts as chairman.
The members represent a balanced and geographically distributed mix Members of Release and Maintenace Authority (ESI-OpenCFD, Wikki), HPC experts (CINECA, KAUST, ORNL), Hardware OEM (NVIDIA, Intel, ARM), HPC system integrators (E4), domain-specific expert (FM Global, GM)
A brief description follows:
Chair: Ivan Spisso, HPC specialist for academic and industrial CFD applications, CINECA (Itay)
Mark Olesen: Principal Engineer, ESI-OpenCFD (Germany)
Simone Bnà: HPC developer, CINECA (Italy)
Henrik Rusche, Wikki Ltd. (Germany)
Fabrizio Magugliani Strategic Planning and Business, E4 (Italy)
Michael Klemm Principal Engineer, Giacomo Rossi Application Software Eng., Intel (Germany / Italy)
Oliver Perks, Staff Field Application Engineer, ARM (UK)
Stan Posey, Filippo Spiga, NVIDIA (US/UK)
William F. Godoy, Scientific Data Group, Oak Ridge National Lab (US)
Pham Van Phuc, Institute of Technology, Shimizu Corporation
Stefano Zampini, Research Scientist, Extreme Computing Research Center, KAUST (Saudi Arabia). Member of PETSC dev. Team
Luwayemisi Oluwole Fire Dynamics Group, FM Global
Moududur Rahman, Raman Bansal, HPC SW Innovation Group, GM
Repository: Code repository
How to contact us
To contact the committee, a specific email-address  has been set-up. This alias will automatically forward the incoming request to all current members of the committee. The chairman is responsible for processing any incoming emails and give an appropriate and timely answer.
The Committee meets with biannual meetings:
- One physical, at the annual ESI OpenFOAM Conference. Typically, October time
- One virtual, to be held six months after the physical one (around April)
In between the meetings, we carry out planned activities and common projects on-going keep in touch via online collaboration tools.
Remits of the Committee
An important part of the work is formulating code improvement proposal and recommendations to the Steering Committee, which makes the final decision.
The recommendations to Steering Committee in respect of HPC technical area are :
- Work together with the Community to overcome the actual HPC bottlenecks of OpenFOAM, to name a few:
•Scalability of linear solvers •Adapt/modify data structures of Sparse Linear System to enable vectorization / hybridization •Improve memory access on new architectures •Improve memory bandwidth •Parallel pre- and post-processing, parallel I/O
- Strong co-design approach
- Identify algorithm improvements to enhance HPC scalability
- Interaction with other the Technical Committee (Numerics, Documentations)
- Improve scalability of linear algebra solvers
- HPC Benchmarks
- GPU enabling of OpenFOAM
- Parallel I/O
The Code repository for the HPC Technical Committee: is an open and shared repository with HPC relevant data-sets and terms of references.
- Several members present relevant work at the 7th OpenFOAM Conference in Berlin, session. Dedicate Session to HPC, chaired by Ivan Spisso.
- 2019-01-14 submitted proposal to EuroHPC-03-2019 call: Industrial software codes for extreme-scale computing environments and applications
- 2019-10-17 Committee Meeting at the 7th OpenFOAM Conference in Berlin.
- 2019-04 Committee officially ratified by the Steering Committee.
Planned/On-going: First Italian OpenFOAM User Meeting (second semester 2020)